- Students start Handwork by creating their knitting needles and learning to knit
- After spending 2 years knitting Students move on to crocheting
- Embroidery, cross-stitch and hand sewing are used to make useful items
- Knitting in the round with 5 needles to make socks, hats, and toys
- The middle school years focus on sewing to create more complicated projects including clothing and soft sculpture
- Finally, the students learn to use a sewing machine after 7 years of using no machines in Handwork. At the same time, they are learning about the Industrial Revolution.
An arts curriculum that will be music to your ears.
Arts, Handwork, Movement & Music
While our school is not an art school, art is brought into every subject. The arts are woven into just about every minute of every day in every grade, from early childhood all the way through middle school. The simple, single color watercolor studies in pre-kindergarten and kindergarten lead into more intricate line and form drawings as students progress through the grades.